Therapy and coaching with Dr. Giardina is a fluid, constantly changing process. Each client/patient/person gets a different experience, depending on who she is, what she needs, and how her personality and Dr. Giardina’s interact. But there are certain universal aspects to the Dr. G Method, that everyone will receive at some stage of the counseling process. These are the necessary components of growth and change, as Dr. Giardina see it. And all require time, attention, and discussion somewhere along the way. The Dr. G Method focuses on practical, personalized solutions!
What follows is a brief description of the domains and processes that make up the Dr. G Method
RELATIONSHIPS & COMMUNICATION
- We are our relationships – what do your relationships look like? How do they shape you? Do you need different relationships, or expectations for your people?
- Learn your communication patterns and pitfalls (and strengths)
- Find your true identity and give voice to it/her
- Examine (and alter) your inner language – which sets the tone for emotions and behaviors
BALANCE & SELF-CARE
- Are you getting enough movement, leisure, food, sleep, and sex?
- Balance as a verb – constantly changing
- It all starts with your breath, and mindful present awareness
- Holistic needs assessment (and referrals)
- Recognizing the time for release or catharsis
- Develop a plan for coping with distress
SELF-AWARENESS & MOTIVATION
- Identify limiting beliefs, barriers, and mechanisms of self-sabotage
- Clarify your “why,” your driving force, your purpose, your core values
- Understanding that needing is different from wanting (or feeling you should want something)
- “Own your gaps” with an honest, holistic self-assessment – understand that you are multi-faceted and perfectly imperfect
- Regular reflection (and documentation) is essential
REFOCUSED PRIORITIES & EXPECTATIONS
- Grieving the past, letting go, and moving forward
- Accept that you can’t have it all (at the same time)
- What do you need today?
SUSTAINABLE & FLEXIBLE
- Goals must be short and long term, practical, simple, & sustainable
- Overly intense or complex solutions never last
- There are “multiple paths to happiness” – don’t get stuck on only one!
- Be clear about who are your cheerleaders/supporters, and who are the distractors/sabotagers
- “Some is more than none!” – embrace the grey, do away with “black & white” thinking
AUTHENTIC & GENUINE
- Both you and Dr. Giardina have to be true and honest for this to work
- Straight talk, with some tough love, is how progress happens
- Challenging situations will arise, but are handled gently and with timing in mind
- Science is important, but must be translated through the lens of the personal interaction
- Sometimes a hug helps too